http://digitalslrcameras.blogspot.com/sitemap1.xml.gz 2006-11-08T18:23:17+00:00

Friday, November 03, 2006

Digital SLR Quality Photos Enable Many Digital Processing Options

Now that I've been experimenting with digital photography, I am finding it quite amazing. There is a lot of software available to use while processing your digital images. That is another future topic of discussion.

Right now I am going to give an example of what can be done with software using a shot of the Richardson Towers. All of the photos below are from the same original digital image shot with my digital slr.

The first shot is not processed at all except for a touch of image sharpening with photoshop. The colors, exposure, etc., are exactly as the picture was captured by my camera.

Richardson Towers


The second shot is a black & white conversion I did with the original photograph.

Richardson Towers B&W


The third shot is an HDR, high dynamic range, created with special software. The process involves combing 3 or more shots of the same scene, each with a different exposure. Once that is done, a process called tone-mapping is applied that brings out the color from the different exposures. This process can yield some pretty amazing results, it can also be abused.

Richardson Towers (version 2) HDR


This final shot result was obtained the same way as the last picture, except I used some of the color and other settings during the processing.

Richardson Towers HDR


Once the pictures were uploaded from my camera to my computer it took about 20 -30 minutes to get the 4 different results. The photo version you like best is a matter of personal taste, if you ask 10 different people I'm sure you would get mixed answers. I like the last one with the extra tweaking. When I look at it, the effect of the lighting and the colors seems to make the building appear alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home